Making Management Innovation an Integral part of your business strategy, by G. Hamel
“The companies that will win in the future will be the ones that are really focused on human beings”
- Management is one of most important technologies human has invented, and we need to reinvent that technology.Management was really invented to solve the problem on how to turn human beings to robots.Somehow we are satisfied with the same management system of middle 1900.
Why has management evolution stopped?
- Maybe we have solved all the possible problems or maybe we have simply been caught in a paradigm trap, which i think is the correct answer.
The 3 new challenges that face organitzations today are:
First challenge: Change
- Are companies changing as fast as the world is?
- A lot of companies have been left behind on the change curve.
- Product advantages don’t last as long as they used to.
- The dividing line between a leader and a competitor is usually months only.
- Change only happens in crisis.
- Today the challenge is building an evolutionary advantage over time.
Second challenge: Protection barriers
- The protection barriers companies used to have are falling.
- We have to be adaptable in a new environment.
- Innovation is the only protective barrier. There are ways to determine innovation is not a key point in a company.
Third challenge: Knowledge is becoming a commodity
- We need to integrate knowledge in a creative way.
- We need a completely different way of thinking about our people.
- Worker values pyramid: Obedience, diligence, expertise, initiative, creativity, passion.
- The job of managers is not to get employees to serve the organization, but to build the environment to encourage people to collaborate and contribute.
- “All commitment is voluntary”.
- “If you never tell a colleague what to do it will never work with you again”.
- We have to destroy the notion of the CEO.
- How do you became a management innovator? You have to be willing to challenge conventional thinking.
- You have to go to the social revolution on the web to see the future of management.
- The assumption is that when you get people more freedom they get less disciplined.
- Involvement drives commitment.
- The single reason companies get into trouble is when they concentrate responsibility in few people so the organization depends on personal characteristics of that people.
If you had grown up in the internet world:
- Every idea should compete in equal condition.
- What matters is your contribution not your credentials.
Management is only on doing to simple things
- Amplifying human capabilities (the internet has done it)
- Aggregate those capabilities (we see that through open source)
The irony is we as individual are already adaptable, innovative and interested but our organizations are not as much.