Keynote - Taking healthcare research from the bench to the bedside, by Iréne Norstedt
“Europe did not look attractive for Pharmaceutical research”
- IMI: Public private partnership between European Union and Elpia.
- 27 countries and 27 brands behind this partnership.
- R&D expenses are raising but the results are doing at a much smaller rate.
- IMI Aims:
- Modernize drug development
- Support ‘pre-competitive pharmaceutical research and development’
- Foster collaboration
- Not developing any new medicines!
- IMI Focus: Safety, Efficacy
- Efficacy and Safety are often disease specific
- How is IMI operating?
- Supports collaborative research projects
- Project funding via combined contributions
- Average project size: 30M euro
- Average partnership: 10-15 pharmaceutical companies and 10-15 academic, SMC.
- Pharmaceutical companies not used to work with each other.
- Key Challenges:
- Change of behaviors: competitors vs partners
- Honesty: long term team consensus vs short term individual advantage
- If you want to make a change
- Have the right idea at the right time
- Do your homework
- Limit your objectives
- Engage all stakeholders
- Working together is challenging but rewarding
- Be persistent and patient
Extract by Guillem Mateos